Welcome to the Math Placement Test
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics has developed an on-line Mathematics Placement Test
(MPT) for students entering University. Students who are registered in Math 110, 121, 123 and 125, which are introductory calculus
courses, are required to write the MPT. The test consists of thirty multiple-choice questions to be completed in 70 minutes, precisely
timed by the computer. It is closed-book and closed-notes, and calculators are not allowed. The test is designed
to assess competency on precalculus mathematics, and to determine whether the student has the necessary prerequisites for succeeding in
University calculus courses.
The topics covered on the MPT are:
- Arithmetic Skills
- Basic Algebra and Functions
- Geometry & Trigonometry
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
Students who wish to practise on questions that are similar to those on the actual test may visit the following
site to take a sample test: Sample Math Placement Test
2013-2014 Term 1 (Sep-Dec 2013)
Instructions for students in Math 110, 121, 123 and 125 [last updated on August 29, 2013]:
This is a mandatory test for all students registered in Math 110/121/123/125. If you are a student registered in these introductory calculus courses for Term 1 of 2013-2014, you are expected to reserve a seat
to write the MPT at the U of S campus in the second week of July or the second week of August. If you cannot write the test in July or August because you have a time conflict
or you live outside Saskatoon for the summer, you must write the test during the first two weeks of September:
- Available Test Dates (reservations required): July 8 through July 13, 2013, August 6 through
August 10, 2013, and September 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 and 12, 2013.
- When to Reserve a Seat: Online reservations for the July MPT opened on Friday June 28 at 8:30 am
for students to reserve a seat. Reservation for the August MPT opened on Monday July 22 at 8:30 am and remained open until all seats were filled or
all dates had passed. Information on the September MPT will be posted on this page towards the last week of August
(see Instruction 13 below).
- How to Reserve a Seat: You must read this important Pictorial Guide on how to reserve a seat.
The MPT Server is NOT PAWS, so PAWS passwords will not work. See Slide 4 for what username and what password
- Where to Reserve a Seat: Click this link to log into the Lon Capa Server
where the MPT Time-Slot Reservation System resides.
- The MPT Server is not PAWS: Logging into the MPT to reserve a seat is not the same as logging into PAWS.
Please read Instruction (3) above.
- Sample Test: Students are encouraged to practise on the Sample Math Placement
Test to review basic concepts and skills.
- July MPT Scores Released [on July 16, 2013]: If you wrote the MPT in the second week of July, your MPT score has been
sent to your U of S Email address. If you have questions about your test score, Email "firstname.lastname@example.org" with the subject line "Question about test score". If you
would like to review which questions you have answered wrong, please Email "email@example.com" to make an appointment to view your test results.
- MPT Scores for Aug 6 to Aug 10 Released [on Aug 13, 2013]: Test scores for students who wrote the MPT during the second
week of August have been processed on Monday August 12, and we have sent the scores to students' U of S Email addresses on Tuesday August 13.
- August 16 MPT Test at Branch Campus in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan: We will be delivering two MPT sessions (Aug 16, at 11:00am and
at 2:00pm) at SIAST'S Woodland Campus in Prince Albert, SK. If you live in or near Prince Albert,
and if you want to write the test there on Aug 16, click this link to sign up for a seat now. See instruction 3 above on how to
sign up for a seat.
- MPT on August 28 & 29 at Branch Campus in Muenster, Saskatchewan: We will be delivering two MPT sessions (Aug 28 at 2:00pm and
Aug 29 at 2:00pm) in Computer Lab Room 111 at St. Peter's College in Muenster, SK. If you live in or near Muenster,
and if you want to write the test there on Aug 28 or 29, click this link to sign up for a seat now. See instruction 3 above on how to
sign up for a seat.
- Frequently Asked Questions & Further Enquiries: If you have questions about the MPT, please read this
document containing answers to some Frequently Asked Questions (updated on
July 23). If you still have unanswered questions after reading those Q&As, send Email to "mpt_at_math.usask.ca"
with the subject line "Math Placement Test" (replacing "_at_" with "@"), and please indicate which course you are in (Math 110/121/123/125).
- "I forgot where my test location is. Where is my Test Centre (Saskatoon main campus)?" You can always log back into the MPT Reservation System to
review the time and location of your reservation, switch to another time slot, or drop a reservation. Here is a campus map showing the building locations of ARTS, ENG (Engineering),
GEOL (Geology) and Spinks if you are new on the main campus. Please see Instruction 3 above for how to sign onto the MPT Server.
- September Math Placement Test [last updated on August 29, 2013]: Time slots and locations for the
September Placement Test have been finalized (for the main campus as well as the branch campuses in Prince Albert and Muenster). Reservations will re-open on Saturday August 31, 2013 at
8:30 am and will remain open until all seats are occupied or all times have passed. If you have not written the test in July/August 2013, click this
link to sign up for a seat to write it in the first two weeks of September (read Instruction 3 above; PAWS
credentials will not log you into the MPT).
- September Math Placement Test Sessions Ended [last updated on September 12, 2013]: The last MPT session was given
on Thursday Sep 12 at 2:30pm. The next MPT will be given in the first week and second week of January 2014. MPT scores will be processed on Friday Sep 13 and Monday Sep 16. We intend to
Email test scores to students on Tuesday Sep 17.
- September MPT Scores Released [on Sep 16, 2013]: Test scores for students who wrote the MPT during the first or
second week of September have been sent to the students' U of S Email addresses on Monday September 16 at about 9:00pm. As pointed out in the
Frequently Asked Questions document above, students who failed the MPT (< 50%) this year (2013-2014) will not be dropped from calculus, but it is
recommended that they review their basic math skills before taking calculus.
Questions about your MPT scores should be emailed to "mpt_at_math.usask.ca" with the subject line
"Questions about My MPT Score" (replacing "_at_" with "@"), and please indicate which course you are in
(Math 110/121/123/125). Please do not phone the Math & Stats General Office about the MPT or the MPT score as they will simply ask
you to Email the MPT instead.
2013-2014 Term 2 (Jan-Apr 2014)
Students registered in Math 110 for Term 2 will be writing the Math Placement Test in the first two weeks of January 2014.
More information will be provided towards the end of December 2013.
At the reserved time of your Placement Test, click HERE to sign on to the test.
This page was last updated on: 2013 September 12.
Copyright © 2007 University of Saskatchewan.